On Jun 26, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced that the state will receive more than $675 million in federal assistance to expand broadband access. The governor highlighted the significance of the funding stating that it enables New Mexico to address the digital divide and promote equitable opportunities for its residents.
“It is no accident that this funding made up the largest percentage of the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law; broadband projects are incredibly expensive and a vital part every aspect of our lives,” said Gov. Lujan Grisham, according to a press release. “This funding empowers New Mexico to continue to bridge the digital divide and create equal opportunities for our residents. I’m grateful to President Biden and New Mexico’s Congressional delegation for their roles in securing this funding for our state.”
According to a press release, Gov. Lujan Grisham disclosed that New Mexico is set to receive over $675 million in federal funding aimed at expanding broadband access across the state. Provided through the Broadband Equity Access and Deployment (BEAD) program under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the funding will be utilized to implement a comprehensive plan to enhance connectivity. By the end of this year, the state will submit a detailed proposal to the federal government outlining the deployment strategy, with a particular focus on improving internet access in underserved communities, educational institutions, healthcare facilities, and tribal lands.
“We recognize that reliable high-speed internet access has become vital, enabling access to education, healthcare, employment opportunities, and essential government services,” said Kelly Schlegel, the Director of the Office of Broadband Access and Expansion, according to the press release. “This funding will help us serve so many of our unserved communities in rural New Mexico.”
In 2022, Gov. Lujan Grisham unveiled Connect New Mexico, a pilot program aimed at bridging the digital divide by offering up to 75 percent coverage for network expansion in unserved and underserved areas of the state. Building on this commitment, earlier this year, the governor allocated a substantial $54 million in grants and an additional $35 million in matching funds to further support and accelerate broadband projects, reinforcing the state's dedication to improving connectivity for all residents according to the press release.